You’ve been patiently waiting for nine months for the arrival of your little one and now that they’re safely here (or soon will be), you’re considering the benefits of at home newborn photography.
While many photographers work from studios (as I did for years), I have grown to love at home newborn photography and it’s benefits so much that I only offer it exclusively to my clients.
If you’ve been considering an at home newborn photography session, I hope this post will help guide you in deciding the best fit for you and your family!
THE 7 BENEFITS OF AT HOME NEWBORN PHOTOGRAPHY
- Every session is unique. Unlike studio sessions where identical backgrounds and props are used repeatedly with very little variety, your home is distinctive and will provide a one-of-a-kind background.
- Clients do not have to travel to me. When I used to photograph in a studio, I would find mom and family would often arrive frazzled, late and exhausted from having to get ready, packed and then fight traffic to arrive on time. More often than not, something would be forgotten or mom would be worried that she had forgot something. When I am traveling to my client’s home, there is nothing for mom to have to pack or worry about. The morning is more relaxed and unhurried for everyone. I often have clients tell me how wonderful it was that they didn’t have to bother getting out and traveling with a new baby.
- Hair and makeup artist can come to you. Having your hair and makeup artist come to your home provides mom with the same benefits of not having to travel with a newborn plus it’s a wonderful pampering opportunity for mom to feel special while getting ready.
- Documenting the everyday moments. Although studio sessions can create beautiful images, they are often choreographed poses and there is often very little natural interaction. I love being able to take the time to quietly observe and wait for moments that unfold naturally during feedings, bath time and snuggles.
- It’s safer for your newborn. Newborns have incredibly sensitive immune systems and there is a potential risk of exposing them to germs the more person-to-person contact they have while traveling to another location or waiting to be photographed in a studio. At home newborn photography sessions allow parents to limit the amount of exposure their newborn has with other people.
- Your home is quiet, comfortable and familiar. While many studios can offer a calming atmosphere, it is not your home, the place you feel most at ease. In your space, you will hold your baby more naturally, you’ll settle in more comfortably with your own surroundings and enjoy a more relaxing experience while I quietly document these authentic interactions during this beautiful season of motherhood.
- Your home has history. It is so important to me to create meaningful portraits for my families and help them build their legacy. Whether you are in your forever home or your “right now” home, it is part of your history and it will always be remembered as the home that you brought your baby to. The nursery that you worked so hard to prepare, the couch you snuggled on during midnight feedings and the chair you rocked them to sleep… these are all priceless backdrops that help tell your family’s story.
To learn more about booking your in-home newborn session, be sure to inquire about details and to see if we would be a great fit. I am local to the Jackson, Mississippi area but I travel often throughout the state for maternity and newborn sessions.
If you found this post useful, you may want to also read “The Best Time To Schedule Newborn Pictures.”
I’ve also written “The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Newborn Photographer” for new parents who may need help in deciding which photographer would be the best fit for their style and family.